Sunday, January 2, 2011

The time has come...

The last four months has been dedicated to training. Last year I learned a lot about what it really meant to train, and train hard. From the start 'til this very day I've actually found a sense of excitement within my training because I've been able to give more of an effort, pushing harder, and now seeing results.

At the end of last years mixed and ice season I'm not sure if "disappointment" is the right word but i was left with a feeling of un-fulfillment. I had competed at the Ouray Ice Festival which didn't go as well as planned, I had competed at a World Cup in Switzerland which was a great learning experience but I wanted more, and I was really close to sending a route that i thought was once impossible. So many "almosts". Well the time has come to go after what was almost last year.

My training, after four months solid-in my climbing gym, on the "splice" (steep plywood ice), the "49'er" (logs strung across my yard), route climbing, intervals, tabata, all of it– has come to a point of no return. It's funny because last year with my training, i guess deep down I sort of knew that i hadn't really given it my all. And as i look back, i can see what that transformed into through my climbing and some of the "almosts". But this year, this training year has been different. I've learned so much over the past couple of years, how to train properly pertaining to my body, how to focus on weaknesses, etc. I feel different. I feel stronger. I feel ready. I gave it my all.

Monday, January 3rd marks the first day of travel on a big adventure. Traveling across the world to South Korea, Italy, and Switzerland, stopping at the World Cups of ice/mixed climbing–representing Canada–wild but crazy at the same time. I'm super excited in so many ways but at the same time...definitely nervous. I mean, traveling across the world is one thing, competing on the centre stage of the sport, but also leavin' my girls behind...I think that's the part that makes me most nervous. I've traveled a lot in the past few years...but never really any longer then 10 or so days. Typically by day 5 or 6 I begin to miss my girls...a lot. This time it's going to be for 21 days. That's a long time. I suppose with all the mental training i've been working on, it won't only be applied to my climbing...but to my life in general too.

I really believe that at this point it's no longer about how strong I am, or how much training I've done, but more so focused on mental toughness. Seeing press releases on the world cup events, thinking about all the other "strong" competitors, wondering if I did enough to prepare...all these things pile into my head demanding attention. But that's just it, learning about mental toughness, I need to be able to clear my head of these pointless thoughts. I need to be able to focus myself on the positive, believing in myself...and that's it.

Something that i've been thinking about for the last few days has been two routes that i really wanted to send before i left. One route that i was super close to last year, that i'm definitely strong enough for this year, and one route that i just established close to home. Both routes on the cutting edge of the sport, and both routes that had enveloped my thought process. As I've come to realize though, it hasn't been healthy putting so much attention into these two routes with World Cups just around the corner. World Cups and route climbing are so different. The training is somewhat different, the mental game different. It was a tough realization to come to but i knew i needed to let go of the two routes until i got back from world cup. I guess that's the sort of sacrifice you need to make when involving yourself in the competition world. However, all that being said, there is a sense of relief now, a weight off my shoulders, as there isn't that pressure there to send before i leave. I know that when i get back, i'll have a solid month to send those two routes...sending with focus and 100% dedication.

Training, climbing, traveling, competing, more training. All this preparation has come to what the focus has been on for four months: The world cup of Ice/mixed climbing. I need to believe that all this work, the dedication, commitment...that i've done what i can to be ready. I need to believe that I'm going to do well. That i Just need to climb...and of course...have fun. Believe Gordon, believe.

Game on.

No comments: